Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Nice Guys Always Finish First

This is about a man named Mike. Mike has recently passed away and will be laid to rest today. There are lots to say about this man. When I attended the visitation last night, the line was so long it started to wrap down the sidewalk. Mike touched a lot of people. I met him through his wife, Karen. We worked at the newspaper together. Karen would always have interesting stories about Mike, mostly funny ones. The thing about their relationship is after 33 years of marriage they were still in love with eachother. They were also best friends. A relationship like that would last forever.

Mike knew a lot of people and he was always the "go to" guy. One of his favorite hobbies is running the karaoke contest at the bar. This is where I would see him most of the time. Though I didn't sing much, I always enjoy him singing Sweet Home Alabama or a song to his wife. Whenever my friends and I come in the bar, he would always greet us with a smile and have a drink ready for us. We would go so often, that we started calling him dad. He treated us like we were his daughters that he never had. He has two grown sons. It was always a joy to hang out with Mike and Karen. There was never a dull moment.

Mike also knew how to treat women, especially his wife. He believed that women should be treated with the highest respect. Even if Karen had a small errand of picking up milk at the store, he would go with her. I find that gesture very sweet and who knows what could happen. Of course Mike knew a lot of people, so what were the chances of running into someone? He was always up for a chat.

Mike cared about people so much that when he passed away his work closed down for two days. He worked there for over 30 years. He is the type of guy that comes in and when he sees you, he says hi or starts giving you krap, but in a good way. He was a great guy and partner to those people. They will miss him very much.

I can't fathom what it would feel like if one of my close relatives or friends dies. I have been to several funerals, but it is something different when it is someone you truly love and care for deeply. Just seeing how people showed up last night, tells me that this man was one of the best to have around. What Mike and Karen had, is something that can never be touched. They were the perfect couple. I will miss Mike, but the memories of him will keep him close by.

I will miss seeing Mike. There is a small reception for him after the service with, what do you know, karaoke. I hope in his honor, someone will sing Sweet Home Alabama.

No comments: