Thou shall never assume anything.
We're all guilty of it. We fall into it's delicious seductive use and yet what comes from it? Happiness? I would say not always. I know I have had my share of assumptions.
Yesterday, the boss' daughter wanted a couple banners done for her grandpa's birthday before 6:00. It's an easy task, make two 4 foot by 10 banners, with pictures and slap a Happy Birthday Grandpa on it. For me, I knew I could have the banners done before I left work at 3:00. By lunch time, I had given a proof to her and when I came back she had okayed them and were ready to be printed.
I sent the files to the plotter, assuming everything will go ok. They didn't. The server went down, the page was printing wrong and it cut off the images. This is where I have sinned. I assumed that the file would print perfectly in the two large pieces and of course I was wrong.
Now it's around 2:15, I leave at 3:00 and not one single banner has printed properly. Did I panic? Heck yes I did. I went to my IT guy and together we found an alternate solution and the first banner started printing when I left. The boss' daughter would get her banners before 6:00.
These is just a taste of how much we assume things in our lives. Assuming people will be there for us, the weather wasn't going to rain, the president wouldn't speak during our all time favorite show, etc. A lot of times it gets us into trouble and we are left with a weird guilt feeling that we shouldn't have done it. If we would just have the facts upfront without any worry, life would be a lot smoother and happier.
Now do you think the banners printed without running out of ink or paper and it was done by 6:00?
I assumed it did.
Doh! I did it again! Father, forgive me!

No comments:
Post a Comment